МODULE 2. PHYSICAL EDUCATION IN BELARUS
ФИЗИЧЕСКОЕ ВОСПИТАНИЕ В БЕЛАРУСИ
I. Представьте предложенные глаголы в форме прошедшего времени (Past Simple):
bewas, wereknowkn _ w
traint _ _ _ _ _ dbeginb eg _ n
haveh _ _loselo_ _
becomeb _ _ _ medod _ d
graduateg r_ _ _ _ _ _dgetg _ t
studys t u d _ e dgowe _ _
taket _ _ klooklook _ _
readr _ _ dmeetm _ _
writewr_ teplayplay _ _
II. Подберите из предложенных обстоятельств времени те, которые соответствуют временной форме сказуемого:
- 1. To keep fit I do my morning exercises___________.______
- 2. We go swimming_______________
- 3. Belarusian athletes__________set records at various competitions.
- 4. Our coach retired from competition____________________
- 5. She performed this element at the__________________
- 6. My friend goes running_______________________
- 7. __________he wins at important international events.
- 8. He will certainly take part in the______________________
- 9. ________he attended his training practices, but________he is ill.
- 10. They won the football match________________.
last night, at the age of 40, as a rule, every morning, last week, this week,
every weekend, on Wednesdays, last competitions, next Olympics, often
III. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в форме Present Simple. Переведите предложения:
- 1. He ( to train) twice a week to keep fit.
- 2. I often (to perform) this element at the international competitions.
- 3. This athlete usually (to demonstrate) top performance at major competitions.
- 4. Top-class athletes (to have practices) every day.
- 5. Sometimes players (to leave) their teams for some reasons.
- 6. As a rule qualified athletes (to enter) the University of Physical Culture.
- 7. She is a professional tennis player. She (to come) to England two or three times a year to play at international events.
- 8. A sport in which an athlete (to need) gloves is boxing.
IV. Поставьте следующие предложения в отрицательную и вопросительную форму:
- 1. He goes running on Modays and Wednesdays.
- 2. My friends watch much sport on TV.
- 3. My elder brother is still an active athlete. He often wins at various competitions.
- 4. We want to teach children physical training.
- 5. I go to the gym in my free time.
- 6. He usually leaves the stadium late.
- 7. They train hard to be qualified for the World Championship.
- 8. Every athlete needs the encouragement of his fans.
V. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в форме Present Simple или Past Simple. Переведите предложения:
- 1. At the Minich Olympics A.Medved ( become) a three-time Olympic champion.
- 2. This runner usually ( demonstrate) top performance before international races.
- 3. We ( join) this sports club two years ago.
- 4. My father ( teach) me swimming when I was 7.
- 5. At the last World Cup he ( prove) the world that he was the best.
- 6. When you ( begin) taking up sports?
- 7. They ( run) marathon for the first time yesterday.
- 8. Football fans usually ( give) encouragement to their home team.
VI. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в форме Present Simple или Future Simple. Переведите предложения:
- 1. Our football team never ( lose) important matches at home.
- 2. Sure, if you ( train) hard and live a healthy life, you ( become) a top-class athlete.
- 3. He ( give up) playing handball this year. He is getting too old.
- 4. She seldom ( show) sympathy to her rivals.
- 5. The Head Coach ( come) to the training camp soon.
- 6. When he ( show) his best result?
- 7. This skier ( become) the 10 th in the World Cup standings if he ( win) the race.
VII. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Present Simple или Present Continuous. Переведите предложения:
- 1. I'm sure he ( go, win) the overall title next year.
- 2. I'm so happy! My parents ( come).
- 3. Our coach usually ( come) to the training practice at 8 o'clock in the morning.
- 4. Were are you, Tom?- We ( have) a fantastic time playing football.
- 5. We ( go) to a basketball match this evening.
- 6. My brother ( play) volleyball both in winter and summer and ( go) swimming all year.
- 7. It is Sunday, so she ( practise). She ( stay) at home for a change.
- 8. Your brother ( go) in for any sport?
VIII. Pаскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в одном из времен групп Simple или Соntinuous. Переведите предложения:
- 1. What time we ( arrive) in Minsk if we ( take) the 3.40 bus?
- 2. He (not, come) to the birthday party yesterday because he ( have) his training practice at that time.
- 3. He never ( do) morning exercises but ( look) quite fit.
- 4. I'm not sure if he ( arrive).
- 5. Where is Ann? - The doctor ( see) her before the race.
- 6. He ( play) football when he studied at the University.
- 7. When I came to the stadium they still( play) football.
- 8. Stay at home. She ( call) you between 6.00 and 7.00 p.m.
- 9. I ( find) students life really enjoyable.
IX. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в нужной временной форме. Переведите текст:
Remember: rock climber- скалолаз
bivouac- лагерь альпинистов
Note the pronunciation: Italy
the Dru Mountain
Catherine Destivell a.__(be) a rock star. She b.__(love) rock but she c.__(not sing) or d.__(play) the guitar. She e.__(be) a rock climber and a big sports star in Italy. She f.__(start) climbing near her home in Paris when she g.__(be) five. At fourteen she h.__ ( join) the French Alpine Club to learn more. She i.__(win) her first competition in Italy in 1985. Some years ago she j.__(find) a new route up the Dru Mountain in Chamonix. The climb k.__(take) eleven days. It l.__ (snow) heavily for some days so she couldn't move. While it m.__ (snow) she n.__(sleep) and o.__ (eat) in a bivouac on the side of the mountain. Other climbers p.__ (try) to follow the new Destivelle Route but they q.__(fail). They r.__ (be, go) to do it again and again.
People always s.__(ask) Catherine why she t.__(climb). She always u.__ (say):” I v.__(climb) because I w.__(be) in love with the mountains.”
X. Определите тип вопроса и ответьте на него. Переведите вопросы и ответы:
- 1. When did you begin to take up sports?
- 2. Who took you to a sports club for the first time?
- 3. What kind of a club was it?
- 4. Your parents are still active athletes, aren't they?
- 5. What do your parents do?
- 6. Do you often take part in competitions?
- 7. How many times a week do you practise?
- 8. What is your best sports result?
- 9. Was your coach's career in sport short or long?
- 10. Which of your friends will take part in the Olympics?
- 11. Who is your ideal athlete?
- 12. You want to coach young athletes, don't you?
XI. Поставьте общие вопросы к следующим предложениям:
- 1. I usually speak English to my opponent at international competitions.
- 2. We go to a swimming- pool a lot during our free time.
- 3. British people are very fit and healthy.
- 4. This Olympic champion receives lots of fan's letters every day.
- 5. They use an oval ball in the game of rugby.
- 6. Two sports in which one rides something are horse-riding and cycling.
- 7. The white player starts in the game of chess.
- 8. Olympic Games take place every four years.
XII. Поставьте альтернативные воросы к следующим предложениям, используя слова, данные в скобках :
- 1. Top-class athletes practise twice a week ( twice a day).
- 2. The runner will be in top form before the World Cup ( Olympic Games).
- 3. He was 17 when he first won an international race ( 20).
- 4. This gymnast's career in sport was long ( short).
- 5. This skier is the tenth in the Word Cup standings ( the fifth).
- 6. A.Medved is a two-time Olympic champion ( a three-time Olympic champion).
- 7. The Head Coach will come to the training camp in two days ( four days).
- 8. He swims every morning ( runs).
- 9. He wants to teach children physical education ( coach young athletes).
XIII. Поставьте специальные вопросы к выделенным словам:
- 1. She played basketball when at school.
- 2. Football was born in England.
- 3. She looks too tired because she works hard.
- 4. They lost two games at the last tournament.
- 5. She gets to her sports club by bus.
- 6. I study at the University of Physical Culture.
- 7. Our ice-hockey players proved the world that they were among the best.
- 8. He will certainly become an Olympic champion.
- 9. The sport of judo comes from Japan.
XIV. Поставьте разделительные вопросы к следующим предложениям:
- 1. He performed worse than his main opponent.
- 2. She didn't show any sympathy to her rivals.
- 3. I'll become an Olympic champion some day.
- 4 The legendary sprint of Julia Nesterenko impressed everybody.
- 5. They never do morning exercises.
- 6. He is my ideal athlete.
- 7. You're in excellent form. You'll certainly outdistance your main rivals.
- 8. He lost his sports bag in the gym yesterday.
XV.Поставьте вопросы к подлежащим в следующих предложениях:
- 1. Belarussian ice-hockey fans usually encourage their home teams.
- 2. He won the title of an Olympic champion at the last Olympics.
- 3. My group-mates and I often take part in regional races.
- 4. My elder brother is still an active athlete.
- 5. The students of the University of Physical Culture judge a lot of school competitions.
- 6. We are students of the Belarusian State University of Physical Culture.
- 7. My parents entered the institute just after the war.
XYI. Поставьте вопросы к предложенным ответам:
- 1. Yes, he will certainly win at the next Olympic Games.
- 2. No, he didn't take up any sport in childhood.
- 3. His main rival was from the USA.
- 4. His victory gave him 25 points in the World Cup standings.
- 5. I'm sorry. I didn't win any medal at the competition.
- 6. No, he outdistanced his nearest rival by 2 seconds.
- 7. It was a regional race.
THE BELARUSIAN STATE UNIVERSITY OF PHYSICAL CULTURE
The Belarusian State University of Physical Culture is the major centre of training highly qualified specialists in sports and physical education in our country.The University has a glorious history. It began in 1937 when the Byelorussian Physical Training Technical School 1 became the State Institute of Physical Culture. In 1992 the Institute was reorganized into the Academy of Physical Education and Sports. In 2003 it became the Belarusian State University of Physical Culture.
A great number of outstanding athletes like 2 Mikhail Krivonosov, Romuald Klim, Vladimir Kaminsky graduated from the University. Their contribution to the successes of Belarusian sports is well-known.
The admission requirements to the University are rather high. An applicant must complete the eleven-year school, have a high sports ranking and successfully pass entrance and sports proficiency tests.
The University has 25 chairs and three faculties: two Sports Faculties and the Faculty of Health -Oriented Physical Training and Tourism . Every faculty is headed by a dean. Day-to-day running of the University is in the hands of the rector. 3 The staff numbers about 300 lecturers. About 3500 students and postgraduates study at the University.
The academic year is divided into two semesters. Students must take credit tests and examinations at the end of each semester. The curriculum is rather versatile. Students study various disciplines: philosophy, history of Belarus, foreign languages, world and national culture, physiology, sports medicine, anatomy, biochemistry, sports psychology, pedagogics, methods of physical training, biomechanics, etc.4 In addition to their compulsory subjects students may take optional courses in sports massage and computer operating. Most students are active athletes and have training practices once or twice a day 5 where they improve their fitness and acquire professional skills in the chosen sport.
The course of studies lasts five years for the day-time students and six years for the correspondence students. The University trains coaches in separate sports, PE teachers , instructors of remedial physical training and motor rehabilitation, occupational therapists, managers of sports and toutism. The students and lecturers have at their disposal modern sports facilities for training and recreation: a new track-and-field stadium, numerous gyms, a football field, a tennis court, sports grounds. Most of the students are provided with free education, library and sports facilities. A lot of students live at a hostel. The students who demonstrate good knowledge get grants. To graduate from the University students pass state examinations (finals).